Our first Spotlight: Bernadette!
Tell us a bit about you:
What’s your current hair status:
I’ve been natural since August 2006 and I’m BSL (the sides of my nape are trying to creep up on MBL but I refuse to claim it until more of my hair plays catch up lol).
What is your current regimen?
- I spritz my hair with my homemade detangling/moisturizing spray (which is made up of water, v05 conditioner either olive oil or coconut oil)
- detangle gently with my fingers and go over again with either my wide tooth shower comb or my modified Denman brush,
- I then shampoo with Creme of Nature’s Argan Oil Shampoo, which has been the best shampoo that I’ve found.
- I then deep condition for at least 30 minutes (my favorite deep conditioner is Silk Dreams’ Vanilla Cream Moisture Dream).
- I’ll do a final tea rinse with Burdock root tea. (If I’m not feeling too lazy)
- I like to do a medium protein treatment about every three weeks (my hair LOVES protein).
- After allll of that is finished (lol), I twist my hair up with Karen’s Body Beautiful’s hair milk and seal with a bit of coconut oil or Darcey’s Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Styling Creme (a little goes SUCH a long way for me).
- I wear those twists for the week
- I try to moisturize them at least twice a week with my homemade detangling/moisturizing spray and then seal with a bit of coconut oil.
How long have you be on your healthy hair journey?
Hmm, this question is a bit hard for me to answer. I’ve been natural for almost seven years, but it wasn’t always healthy (dye jobs and heat damage are some hindrances that I’ve experienced). I would say I’ve been on a healthy hair journey since 2010, once I truly buckled down on protective styling and consistent moisturizing.
What is your hair goal?
Waist length!!!! <3 For a long time, it was BSL, but after drooling over some ladies’ length tresses, I’ve set myself a new goal.
What are your favorite products and why?
- Karen’s Body Beautiful’s hair milk: this stuff is the BOMB dot COM. Like seriously, I think that it’s worth every penny. My hair is fine is this doesn’t weigh it down at all and provides a lot of moisture.
- Coconut Oil: a little bit goes SUCH a long way and seals in moisture
- Silk Dreams’ Vanilla Creme Moisture Dream: hands down the best deep conditioner I’ve ever used. So moisturizing, my hair feels like butter after I use it. I almost feel like this was created just for me. **A Plus is that this company has the BEST customer service! **
- My homemade detangling/moisturizing spray (water, a squeeze of v05 shea cashmere conditioner or v05 coconut conditioner, and a splash of coconut or olive oil): this spray has made my tangles melt away! I used to fight my hair (and my hair won every fight, haha) until I incorporated this into my regimen. Plus, it’s cheap too! Which is why it’s great to double as a daily moisturizer.
What one product/technique/tip has turned your hair around?
It’s so hard to choose just one! I have three (sorry!).
What is your #1 tip for growing long healthy hair?
Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Faithful deep conditioning, daily moisture, co-washing, whatever! Make sure that hair’s not dry!! Dry hair leads to breakage! When I was relaxed in high school, I NEVER moisturized my hair, I don’t even remember using conditioner. Yet I always wondered why my hair couldn’t make it past collarbone length without breaking off. I’d literally comb my hair with tears in my in eyes because I could see the all of the broken hairs in the sink. If I had known then what I know now, I know that my hair would have thrived. But, that’s part of what a journey is about: learning from past mistakes and moving forward.